These panang curry short ribs are inspired by a Thai restaurant I went to a few years ago. It combines the flavors of a traditional panang curry with the richness of braised beef short ribs. The tender beef melts in your mouth and the sauce goes perfectly with a nice bowl of rice. This dish is surprisingly easy to make and is absolute star when placed on the dinner table.
What type of meat to use for panang curry short ribs
I would highly recommend using boneless beef short ribs for this recipe. That is because you will be able to cut them into more even and square pieces. I know that beef short ribs can be slightly more expensive sometimes and if you cannot afford them, beef chuck is a great alternative. You might not be able to cut them into even pieces but you will still be left with extremely tender beef. Preparing them is really simple, just cut them into 3 inch pieces, season with salt, and sear them in a hot pan until golden brown.
What brand of panang curry paste should I use?
Here is the brand of panang curry paste that I personally use and I think is the best. 1 can is the perfect amount for this recipe but depending on how much you are making, you can add more or less.
How to know when the beef is tender
A very simple way to tell whether your beef short ribs will turn out tender is by simply stabbing a knife through the meat. You should be able to pierce the meat easily like it is going through butter if it is ready. If there is a significant amount of resistance and the knife is not going through smoothly, then it needs to cook longer.
Panang Curry Short Ribs
- 2 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 can panang curry paste
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 L unsalted beef broth (enough to just cover the beef)
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- crushed peanuts
- Cut your beef short ribs into equal pieces about 3 inches in length.2 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- Season lightly with salt.1 tbsp salt
- Into a hot dutch oven add 1 tbsp of oil and sear the beef on all sides. Set aside after they are all evenly browned.1 tbsp oil
- Into the same pot, add your rough chopped shallots, cloves of garlic, and panang curry paste. Stir 30 seconds.2 large shallots, 5 cloves garlic, 1 can panang curry paste
- Add flour, stir until you can no longer see any more flour.1 tbsp flour
- Add beef stock, only enough to barely cover the beef.3 L unsalted beef broth
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven at 350F for 2.5 hours or until the beef is fork tender.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside for later.
- Add 1 can coconut milk, season with fish sauce, and sugar. Allow it to simmer on the stove uncovered for 10 minutes.1 can coconut milk, ½ tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp sugar
- Serve the sauce on top of your beef short ribs. Garnish with crushed peanuts, parsley, and any other greens you have.crushed peanuts, parsley
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: