Scallion oil noodles are super simple and delicious noodle dish that you can make in 20 minutes. The ingredients are very minimal and we even levelled it up by making our own homemade noodles. If you want to make it even easier, just boil your favorite ramen noodles instead.
How many scallions to use in scallion oil noodles
The more the better, but I would say about 5-6 stalks for green onion are perfect for 2 portions of noodles. To prepare the scallions, separate the whites from the greens, cut into 3 inch segments then thinly slice them. When cooking, we first brown the scallion whites, then finish with the greens.
How to make homemade scallion oil noodles
This method is surprisingly easy to make and my fried Wallace (@w2sixpackchef) is the one who taught me how to make it.
Step 1: Mix ingredients
The first step is to mix together 2 cups of flour with 140ml of water. I found that starting to mix by hand until a doughball forms, then placing into a stand mixer to mix is the most efficient. You will want to use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment and let it mix for about 10 minutes or until the dough ball is smooth.
Step 2: Let it rest at room temp
This is an extremely important step that you cannot leave out. Letting our dough rest allows gluten in the dough to form which is what allows us to stretch it out really thin. 1 hour is the very minimum time and you can leave it out longer if you want.
Step 3: roll and cut
Once our dough has rested enough, roll it out as thin as possible while adding flour. You will want it about 1/4 cm thickness or as thin as you want your noodles. Just something to keep in mind is that the noodles will expand when cooked. Continue dusting flour while rolling and cutting to make it easier to work with. Once the dough has been flattened out very thin, tightly roll it up like a fruit roll-up then cut into your noodles.
Scallion Oil Noodles
Homemade noodle ingredients
- 2 cups AP flour
- 140 ml room temp water
- pinch of salt
- 4 stalks scallions
- 2½ tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp regular soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp MSG
- 1 egg
- In a bowl mix together flour, water, and salt. Mix with you hands until a rough dough forms.2 cups AP flour, 140 ml room temp water, pinch of salt
- Place rough dough into a stand mixer bowl then mix over medium speed for 5-10 minutes until a smooth doughball forms.
- Place doughball in a plastic bag for at least 1 hour. This will allow the gluten to form.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out our dough until about ¼ centimeter thick while dusting with flour as needed.
- Tightly roll up the dough and cut into desired wideness of noodles.
- Cook noodles in a pot of hot water and once they float to the top they are ready. (about 2-3 minutes)
- The portions in this recipe is for 1 serving which is half of the noodles that this dough makes. Double the sauce ingredients if you want to use all of the noodles made.
- Separate the scallion whites from the greens and then thinly slice them.4 stalks scallions
- In a pan add oil over medium heat then cook the scallion whites until slightly browned.2½ tbsp oil
- Once slightly browned, add the remaining scallion greens along with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, and MSG.2 tbsp regular soy sauce, 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp MSG
- Add your cooked noodles and mix until combined.
- Garnish with furikake and a crispy fried egg1 egg, furikake
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: