As a kid, Red Lobster’s cheddar bay biscuits were one of my favorite foods. I remember begging my parents for Red Lobster just to eat their complimentary biscuits. Thinking about it now, biscuits are much easier to make than bread, which is why I decided to recreate their biscuits at home.
Important steps for making cheddar bay biscuits
Keep ingredients cold for cheddar bay biscuits
By keeping ingredients such as buttermilk and butter cold at all times, this will ensure a flakey and soft texture. As the biscuits cook in the oven, the butter melts, and creates layers which is why we all love to eat biscuits.
Grate in cold butter
Many biscuit or pastry recipes require you to cut the butter into chunks then slowly work it into the flour with you fingers until a crumb forms. An easy way to get the same result is by grating in your butter instead. To make it easier to grate, I place my butter into the freezer for 15 minutes before I grate.
Shredded cheese and parsley in the dough
The shredded cheddar cheese and parsley are both important for texture, flavor, and color. The shredded cheddar adds a cheesy texture after baked as well as flavor. The parsley is added mainly for color. Red Lobster doesn’t actually have parsley in the batter but I think it looks much more appetizing.
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- 250 g flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 113g cold butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick softened butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Place stick of butter into freezer while you prepare the rest. This will firm up the butter, making it easier to grate.113g cold butter
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, and sugar. Mix to combine.250 g flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, ½ tbsp salt, ½ tbsp sugar
- Take butter from freezer and grate it in.113g cold butter
- Add grated cheese and chopped parsley. Mix again.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup chopped parsley
- Add buttermilk and mix with a spoon until smooth and you can no longer see anymore flour.1 cup buttermilk
- Using a spoon, form your biscuits and place on a baking dish. They don't need to be perfectly round. The batter should make 10-12 biscuits.
- Bake at 420F for 15 minutes.
- Mix together garlic butter ingredients and brush on top of biscuits.1 stick softened butter, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp salt
If you enjoyed this, check out some more easy recipes here: