Loco moco is as comforting as comfort food gets. It’s a seasoned juicy ground beef patty on top of rice, covered in warm gravy, and finished with a crispy fried egg. I used to eat ground beef patties with rice but this dish takes it to a whole other level. The best part is how easy everything is to put together.
What type of meat to use?
Traditionally, this is done with ground beef and I use lean ground beef but more fat = more flavor. I would say you can substitute ground beef with any other type of ground meat like lamb.
How to make a perfect crispy fried egg in loco moco
The key to a perfectly crispy egg is to add enough oil and have the heat high enough. I will add at least 2 tbsp of oil for 1 egg if I want it extra crispy. Once my pan is up to high heat, I add the egg in and I don’t touch it for 30 seconds. After that, I start to baste the egg with oil until I feel all the egg whites have been cooked. This should take no longer than 1 min 30 seconds.
- 450 g ground beef
- ½ yellow onion
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- crispy garlic
- green onion
- Season ground beef with diced onion, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and bread crumbs.450 g ground beef, ½ yellow onion, ½ tbsp garlic powder, ½ tbsp salt, ½ tbsp black pepper, ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- For beef into patties about 1 inch thick and 5 inches wide.
- Cook on a hot pan for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Deglaze pan with butter, sliced onions, sliced mushrooms, and chopped garlic. Cook 3 minutes.1 tbsp butter, ½ yellow onion, 4 cloves garlic, 4 cremini mushrooms
- Add 2 tbsp flour and stir 30 seconds.2 tbsp AP flour
- Add beef stock, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce. Season gravy to your own personal preference, this is just a general guideline for me.2 cups beef stock, 1 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp dark soy sauce, ½ tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Let it simmer on medium heat while stirring until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Top rice with beef patty, gravy, fried egg, crispy garlic, and green onions.1 egg, crispy garlic, green onion
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: