These flakey scallion pancakes bring back a ton of childhood memories and they are extremely easy to make. You can very easily find them in the frozen section of your grocery store but sometimes it’s fun to make them at home. The main ingredients are flour, water, salt, oil, and scallions.
Steps to make flakey scallion pancakes
Mix all dough ingredients into a bowl
In this first step, we will be mixing the flour, salt, and hot water into a bowl. Since we are using hot water, the dough will be difficult to handle which is why I start by mixing with a chopstick. It will clump up which is my sign to start using my hands to form a doughball. I knead with my hands for 5-10 minutes or until a smooth looking doughball is formed.
Rest and split our dough to roll
Once we have created a smooth doughball, you want to lightly oil the surface then cover for about 45 minutes to let the gluten relax. This will allow us to roll it out as thin as possible. After 45 minutes, split the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 10inch x 10inch rectangle. Keep in mind that if you are not using the dough, keep it covered.
Brush with butter
Brush the surface of the dough with a layer of melted butter. This will allow the chopped scallions to stick to the dough and add layers.
Top with chopped scallions
Sprinkle with an even layer of chopped scallions.
Fold into thirds then in half
To create layers, we first fold the rectangle into thirds, then in half.
Twist and roll into a spiral
Twist the dough which will tighten the layers and roll into a spiral. Flatten with the palm of your hand and cover another 30 minutes.
Final roll and cook
Finally, roll out our dough into a circle as thin as possible, don’t worry if the dough is ripping slightly. Place it onto a med-high heat pan with oil until golden on both sides.
Flakey Scallion Pancakes
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 large bunches scallions
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt, and hot water.2 cups AP flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 cup hot water
- Mix and knead until a smooth doughball forms (about 10 min).
- Drizzle top of dough with olive oil and cover for 45 minutes.oil
- Split dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Flatten with a rolling pin into a 10inch x 10inch square
- Brush on a layer of melted butter.⅓ cup melted butter
- Sprinkle an even layer of scallions.4 large bunches scallions
- Make your first fold which is basically separating it into 3 equal sections then folding one of the sections towards the middle.
- Fold the remaining side towards the middle.
- Fold in half.
- Twist the dough.
- Roll it up into a spiral, then flatten with your palm and cover another 30 minutes,
- Roll it out using a rolling pin as thin as possible and cook over med-high heat with 2 tbsp of oil until golden brown on both sides.oil
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: