Beef chow fun is classic stir fried beef rice noodle dish I grew up eating at home and in Chinese restaurants. This is a recipe my dad taught me and now I’m going to share it with you all. My favorite way to enjoy it is by topping with some chili oil.
What type of beef to use?
One of the most popular and accessible cuts of meat to use for this dish is flank steak. However, there are many other types of cuts that are perfect for stir fry’s as well such as striploin. You will want to cut them into thin slices and let them marinate in baking soda to make sure it is extra tender.
What noodles to use for beef chow fun?
Traditionally, this dish is made with fresh rice noodles, but I actually enjoy using dried WIDE vermicelli noodles. They are easier to keep around in the pantry and are very easy to cook. I just soak them in boiling hot water for 10-15 minutes.
When cooking, be sure to use chopsticks in the wok, and this will prevent them from breaking easily.
Beef Chow Fun (干炒牛河)
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250 g vermicelli noodle (wide is more traditional but thin works too)
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1 handful green onion
- ½ yellow onion
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- Cut flank steak into thin slices about ½ centimeter in thickness. Make sure you are cutting against the grain.1 lb flank steak
- Marinate in soy sauce, corn starch, sugar, baking soda, and oil for at least 30 minutes.1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp corn starch, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp oil
- While the beef is marinating, soak your noodles in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. We want them to be about 75% cooked through because they will continue cooking in the wok later.250 g vermicelli noodle
- Heat up a wok with oil over high heat and begin to cook beef about 80% through then set aside.
- Add more oil into the wok then add onions, and beansprouts (washed beansprouts) Cook for 1-2 minutes.1 handful bean sprouts, ½ yellow onion
- Add drained vermicelli noodles.
- Add soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and oyster sauce along with beef and green onions. (green onion washed and cut into 6 inch segments)1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tbsp oyster sauce, 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 handful green onion
- Once everything is mixed thoroughly, season with salt, top with sesame oil, and chili oil.
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: