Beef Pepper Rice
If you have ever been to Asia, you might have heard of a popular fast food chain called pepper lunch. That is the place that popularized this beef pepper rice. It’s very simple, just sliced beef, rice, corn, green onion, and a sweet & salty sauce to go with it served on a sizzling hot plate.
Key ingredients for beef pepper rice
Thinly sliced beef
Thinly sliced beef is of course one of the most important ingredients for this recipe. You can find this at the frozen or meat section of most grocery stores. My cut of choice is sliced ribeye, but other cuts like brisket or sirloin work as well if you can find them. Here is a picture of the one I purchased, this is about 1 pound.
Rice for beef pepper rice
Fresh rice works fine for this this recipe, however, I actually prefer to use day old rice because it won’t get as soggy. We will be adding sauce, and optionally an egg which is extra liquid so using day old rice yields the best result in my opinion. I used 2 cups of cooked rice.
Corn, green onion, onion
You can find frozen corn kernels at pretty much every grocery store. It doesn’t take much to prepare, I give it a quick dip in hot water and drain before adding the kernels into the hot pan.
Green onions add great color and contrast to the dish. I usually thinly slice my green onions, but fo rthis recipe you can actually cut them slightly thicker. Adds crunch and flavor.
Regular yellow onion gets sautéed on the pan first to release the flavors of the onion. I used 1 whole yellow onion for this recipe.
Adding butter creates flavor and helps cook everything down a little more. I used a homemade garlic butter which is the same one I used to make my garlic bread two recipes ago.
Beef Pepper Rice
- 1 lbs thinly sliced ribeye
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Prepare your ingredients by first soaking your frozen corn kernels in hot water for 10 seconds and thinly slicing your onion and green onion.1 cup frozen corn kernels, 2 stalks green onion, 1 yellow onion
- Pre-mix the sauce.2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sesame oil
- Heat up your cast-iron pan over high heat then add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Place sliced onions in the middle of the pan then begin to place the sliced beef along the side of the pan.
- Add your rice on top of the onions and add the sauce on top.
- Add butter, corn, green onions, egg (optional), and mix everything together unitl combined.
If you enjoyed this, check out some more easy rice bowl recipes here: