A patty melt is a delectable sandwich that combines the elements of a classic hamburger with the comforting goodness of a grilled cheese. This culinary delight typically features a seasoned beef patty, grilled onions, and melted cheese, all sandwiched between slices of toasted bread. Whether enjoyed in a diner or made at home, the patty melt is a satisfying treat that satisfies cravings for both a hearty burger and a grilled cheese sandwich.
What type of meat to use in patty melt
`The choice of meat for a patty melt is crucial in determining the sandwich’s flavor and juiciness. Typically, ground beef is the most popular choice. A blend of lean and fatty cuts, such as an 80/20 mix, is great to strike the right balance between juiciness and texture. Instead of smashing the patties in the pan while cooking, I pre smash them using a plate and some parchment paper. I used 120g of ground beef per patty which I believe is the perfect size for smash burgers.
Best ways to caramelize onions
- Stovetop slow method
- Thinly Slice Onions: Slice onions thinly and evenly for even caramelization.
- Heat Oil and Butter: Heat a combination of oil and butter (or just oil) in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Add Onions: Add the sliced onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Patience is Key: Allow the onions to cook slowly for 45 minutes or more until they turn dark brown. Lower heat if needed to prevent burning.
- Stovetop fast(er) method
- Sear, then Slow Cook: Start by searing onions in a hot pan to get some color. Then reduce heat and slow cook for deeper caramelization.
- Timing: This is a great choice if you are able to constantly stir them. should take less than 30 minutes.
The Perfect Patty Melt
- 3 large yellow onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 360 g ground beef
- 3 slices American cheese
- 1 loaf white bread
- mayo for bread
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup mustard
- 2 tbsp pickle juice
- Thinly slice all your onions and set aside.3 large yellow onions
- Heat up a deep pot over med – high heat.
- Add butter and oil into the pot along with your thinly sliced onions.2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp oil
- Stir for 5 minutes then reduce the heat to a medium low.
- Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn.
- After cooking for 45 minutes to an hour it should be caramelized.
- Separate your ground beef into three 120g balls. Smash them in between two pieces of parchment paper with a plate to make a thin patty.360 g ground beef
- Sear each patty over high heat for 2 minutes each side. Add a slice of American cheese and remove when melted.3 slices American cheese
- Toast your 2 slices of bread using mayo.1 loaf white bread, mayo for bread
- Mix together your sauce ingredients.¼ cup ketchup, ¼ cup mayo, ¼ cup mustard, 2 tbsp pickle juice
- Assemble your patty melt with sauce, caramelized onions, burger patties, more sauce, and caramelized onions.
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: