Spinach dip is one of those appetizers I always have to order if it’s on the menu. It’s creamy, flavorful, and honestly really easy to make at home. My choice of chips were regular tortilla chips and baked flatbread. This is the perfect dip to bring over to share with friends and family for the holidays.
Preparing spinach in spinach dip
Cook spinach in butter
I used about 1 lb or 450g of spinach for this recipe. It might seem like a lot at first glance, but they shrink a lot once cooked. You want to cook them until soft and the volume will decrease a lot. They will still look wet at this point which is why we need to drain.
Pat dry with paper towel
Once the spinach has been cooked, strain and pat dry with paper towel. This will remove the excess moisture before adding into the dip.C
Chop into smaller pieces
By drying the spinach, we are now able to chop them into smaller pieces with a knife. This will add color and texture to the dip when mixed. No need to take too long on this step, you just want to remove the excess moisture that would change the dip consistency.
Softened cream cheese
I like to soften my cream cheese before cooking because it makes it easier to incorporate. It is not entirely necessary since we are just cooking it with the rest of the ingredients. A method I use to quickly soften cream cheese is cut them into smaller pieces and place them into the oven with the light on. This will soften the cream cheese in 15 minutes.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb spinach
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- In a pot, melt down butter and add the spinach. Cook until softened.1 tbsp butter, 1 lb spinach
- Remove the spinach and pat dry using paper towel.
- Chop the spinach into smaller pieces and set aside for later.
- In a pot, add cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, shredded cheddar, parmesan, the chopped spinach, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Mix until fully melted and combined and season with salt and pepper to taste.8 oz cream cheese, ½ cup sour cream, ¼ cup mayo, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ cup parmesan, 1 tbsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Transfer the dip to a bowl, top with gruyere cheese and broil until melted.½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some more from the Christmas series: