Spicy crab dip is a delightful blend of lump crab meat, cream cheese, and a touch of heat from spices like cayenne pepper or hot sauce. This creamy and zesty dip offers a perfect balance of savory richness and fiery flavor, making it an irresistible appetizer. Whether served hot or cold, its versatility and bold taste make it a crowd-pleaser, pairing with toasted baguette slices. You can easily tailor this recipe to your personal preference of flavors and even experiment with new ingredients.
Type of crab meat to use in spicy crab dip
Lump crab meat refers to the premium and most sought-after portion of crab meat. Known for its large, whole pieces that come from the muscular swimming legs of the crab. This type of crab meat is prized for its sweet and delicate flavor, as well as its impressive, visually appealing texture. Lump crab meat is composed of substantial, intact chunks that are ideal for showcasing the natural taste of crab. They in a container pasteurized which means it is safe to consume out of the package. However, I always like to heat it up just to be safe. You can find lump crab meat at most grocery stores, I went to my local Asian one.
How long to cook the dip
The timing of how long you want to cook the dip really just depends on how melted you want the cheese to be. Since all the ingredients are safe to eat cold, there is no real danger in “undercooking” it. However, I always enjoy eating dips when they are hot so I would recommend baking 20-30 minutes. And if the cheese is not to your desired color, just broil or torch until it is.
Spicy Crab Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese (1 block)
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup sour cream or greek yoghurt
- 8 oz lump crab meat
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese (1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 baguette
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Leave cream cheese out at room temperature to soften. This step is optional, but will make the mixing process smoother and easier.8 oz cream cheese
- Add all your dip ingredients together in a bowl.8 oz cream cheese, ¼ cup mayo, ¼ cup sour cream or greek yoghurt, 8 oz lump crab meat, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1 jalapeno, chives, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp sriracha
- Mix well and place into a baking dish.
- Cover the top with more shredded cheese then bake at 400F for 20 minutes. If the cheese is not golden brown at that point, place under the broiler until it is.1 cup shredded cheese
- While dip is baking you can cut your baguette into thin 1/2 inch slices.1 baguette
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet, drizzle on olive oil and broil until golden brown and crispy. About 5 minutes.1 tbsp olive oil
- Top the dip with chopped chives and serve with crispy baguette slices.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some more here: