Nasi Goreng is a type of Indonesian fried rice that is completely packed with flavor. It is typically made with chicken and shrimp as the proteins. A couple special ingredients used are shrimp paste and sweet soy sauce. It is also commonly served alongside prawn crackers which I love using as a vehicle to scoop the rice.
What type of meat to use
Ideally, you want a mixture of chicken and shrimp, but I only had chicken. I cut the chicken breast into small cubes. This way they will cook throughout the entire fried rice making process.
Sweet soy sauce in nasi goreng
Sweet soy sauce, is a type of thick Indonesian soy sauce that can generally be found at many Asian grocery stores. One very popular brand is called Kecap Manis and this is a common condiment used in noodles such as Mi Goreng. Since I did not have any in my pantry, I just combined a 1:1 ratio of soy sauce and sugar together. The soy sauce adds umami and saltiness, while the sugar balances it out with sweetness.
What is shrimp paste?
Shrimp paste is another ingredient that can be commonly found at the Asian grocery store. It will probably come with oil and is a thick paste like consistency. It has an umami shrimp flavor/aroma and is a huge flavor component in this dish.
Prawn crackers in nasi goreng
Prawn crackers are easily one of my favorite parts of this dish. It is the perfect vehicle to pick up and eat the fried rice. These prawn crackers only need to fried for 20 seconds afterwards, they will begin to puff up. Growing up, these were one of my favorite types of chips to eat.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups old rice
- 1 large shallot
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 birds eye chili
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1 egg
- crispy shallots (optional)
- prawn crackers (optional)
- Give all aromatic vegetables a fine chop and set aside for later.1 large shallot, 5 cloves garlic, 1 birds eye chili, 2 stalks green onion
- Mix together sugar, soy sauce, and dark soy sauce. Set aside for later.1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Cut chicken breast into small cubes about 1 cm thick.1 chicken breast
- Into a hot wok add oil and cook the chicken for 1 minute.1 tbsp oil, 1 chicken breast
- Add chopped shallots, garlic, and chilies. Stir 1 minute.1 large shallot, 5 cloves garlic, 1 birds eye chili
- Add shrimp paste. Stir 30 seconds.1 tbsp shrimp paste
- Add day old rice along with previously mixed sauce. Stir until uniform in color. Finish by adding half of your chopped green onion.2 cups old rice, 1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1½ tbsp sugar
- In a pot of oil, fry up some thinly sliced shallots and prawn crackers.crispy shallots, prawn crackers
- Top fried rice with a fried egg, crispy shallots, and prawn crackers.1 egg, crispy shallots, prawn crackers
- Thinly slice shallots.
- Cook in hot oil about 300F for 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Add prawn crackers in 400F oil for 20 seconds or until fully expanded. Set aside to drain over paper towel.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some more here: