These miso braised short ribs are a take on the traditional red wine braised short ribs. It uses some Asian inspired umami flavors as the braising liquid and sauce. The flavors are insane and can be easily customizable to your personal preference.
Key ingredients for miso braised short ribs
Beef short ribs
Since these are miso braised short ribs, beef short ribs are going to be what I use for this recipe. However, chuck roast or any other type of braising meat will work as well.
I got my beef short ribs from my local butcher and I asked for a whole plate of beef short ribs which came with 4 bones. I cut them into the individual bones myself and also trimmed off most of the fat on top.
Miso paste is the huge flavor component in this recipe. The miso paste is very strong so 1/4 cup goes a long way. There are different types of miso as well, mainly red or white. Red miso has a stronger color and flavor while white miso is subtle but more commonly used. White miso is what I used for this recipe. Here is the brand and packaging:
Mirin in miso braised short ribs
Mirin is a sweet cooking seasoning used a lot in Asian cooking. The sweetness from the mirin is really great to balance out the savory umami flavors from the soy sauce and miso paste.
Important steps for miso braised short ribs
Coat meat in flour
Coating our meat in flour before searing will help thicken the braising liquid as it is cooking. The flour will come off the meat and thicken the braising liquid into a sauce. Alternatively, you can add a couple tbsp of flour when you add the miso paste.
How to know when the beef is cooked
When braising meat, as opposed to a specific temperature, the best way to check that your meat is done cooking is by poking it with a fork or knife. If the fork goes through the meat without any resistance then that’s a sign that the connective tissue has broken down. Meaning the meat is absolutely buttery and ready to be enjoyed.
Miso Braised Short Ribs
- 3½ lbs bone in short ribs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2½ tbsp flour
- 2 yellow onions
- 7 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup miso paste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup mirin
- 1½ liters beef stock (low sodium)
- Cut your beef short ribs into their individual bones and remove any excess fat on top.3½ lbs bone in short ribs
- Season beef short ribs lightly with salt. Be very careful because miso paste and soy sauce are both very salty already.1 tbsp salt, 3½ lbs bone in short ribs
- Coat the short ribs in flour.2½ tbsp flour
- Sear the short ribs on each side in a hot pot with some oil. Should take 3 minutes on each side then remove from the pot.
- Quarter your two onions and add them to the pot along with the garlic cloves. Stir for 1 minute.2 yellow onions, 7 cloves garlic
- Add miso paste, soy sauce, and mirin, stir for 1 minute.¼ cup miso paste, ¼ cup soy sauce, ⅓ cup mirin
- Add the seared beef back into the pot and top it off with beef stock. I used about 1½ liters but make sure to use enough to cover the meat.1½ liters beef stock
- Place into 350F oven for 2½ hours or until for tender.
- You can use the braising liquid as a sauce, but if you want it to be more concentrated, cook it down on a pan with some dark soy sauce and a corn starch slurry to thicken.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green onions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some more here: