These Korean beef short ribs always steal the show when it comes to the family BBQ. You can easily make this on a pan but I love the taste of cooking meat over a fire. The marinade really carries this recipe and I would highly recommend letting it marinate at least overnight.
Type of meat for Korean beef short ribs
You will need to buy beef short ribs that have been thinly sliced about 3/4 cm in thickness. You can easily find pre cut beef short ribs at most grocery stores, however they can be quite pricey. I always buy a whole short rib plate from my Asian grocery store and have them thinly slice it for me. This works out to be about $8/lb instead of $15/lb.
Preparing the short ribs before marinating
To prepare the short ribs, I always give them a good rinse because there is often bone sediment from the butcher. This step is optional but it makes me feel better when eating and cooking. Afterwards, I will lay them flat on some paper towel to dry while I prepare the marinade.
Important ingredients for the marinade
Asian pears are different from regular pears in that they are larger, crispier, very sweet, and hold lots of water. These pears are perfect to blend within the marinade which will help add sweetness.
Kiwi’s are a classic ingredient needed for these beef short ribs. They add an acidic element to the marinade which will also help tenderize the meat overnight.
Onions and garlic
Onions and garlic are also a must include for this marinade for flavor and umami. They will also help tenderize the meat and make sure it is as flavorful as possible.
Korean Beef Short Ribs
- 3-4 lbs thin cut beef short ribs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ Asian pear
- 1 kiwi
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1 stalk green onion
- 3 tbsp sugar
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- Rinse your beef short ribs under cold water.3-4 lbs thin cut beef short ribs
- Set aside on paper towel to dry while you make the marinade.
- Prepare marinade ingredients by peeling kiwi, pear, garlic, and onions then cutting them into a manageable size.
- Add all marinade ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Feel free to adjust salt/sugar level.½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup mirin, ¼ cup honey, ½ Asian pear, 1 kiwi, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 6 cloves garlic, ½ medium yellow onion, 1 stalk green onion, 3 tbsp sugar
- Add all of your marinade to the beef short ribs then cover to marinate overnight.
- Cook hot and fast over the grill until both sides are nicely caramelized. You can also cook them in a pan over high heat.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds.green onions, sesame seeds
If you enjoyed this Korean short ribs recipe, check out some more recipes here: