Ground beef is an ingredient that many have in their fridge, but find it difficult to make it taste good. This easy ground beef rice bowl is inspired by Korean bulgogi beef. The savory and umami flavors from soy and oyster sauce blend perfectly with the sweetness of honey and mirin. I top my rice bowl with some sriracha mayo, avocado, sesame seeds, and green onions.
Ground beef for beef rice bowl
In my opinion, the most flavorful type of ground meat is beef, but any other type will work just fine. In terms of ground beef, something higher in fat might taste better, but it honestly doesn’t make that big of a difference. I would opt for the healthier option which is lean ground beef.
Different types of soy sauce
There are two main types of soy sauces that I use. The first is a regular light soy sauce and this is the most common type. The second is dark soy sauce which is mainly used to add color to dishes and the texture is also slightly thicker. While it is less common, dark soy sauce is still very readily found in most grocery stores.
Why we add mirin and honey
As you can tell, this dish is heavy in sodium with the different types of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Adding mirin and honey adds a bit of sweetness to balance everything out. At first I wasn’t sure if I really needed it, but a little bit of sugar really completes the dish.
What type of chili flakes to use
I used gochugaru for this recipe which is a type of Korean chili flake, however, you can you use any type you like. If you are unable to handle spice, you may also completely omit this ingredient.
Easy Beef Rice Bowl
- 600 g lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp mirin
- green onion
- sesame seeds
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- Finely dice your onions and garlic.1 small yellow onion, 6 cloves garlic
- Into a hot pat add oil then your chopped onions and garlic. Stir 30 seconds.1 tbsp oil, 1 small yellow onion, 6 cloves garlic
- Make room in the center of the pan and add the ground beef. Cook about 5 minutes or until 90% cooked.600 g lean ground beef
- Season with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili flakes, honey, and mirin. Continue cooking another 2-3 minutes while stirring to combine.1.5 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp dark soy sauce, ½ tbsp oyster sauce, ½ tbsp gochugaru, 1 tbsp honey, ½ tbsp mirin
- Mix together mayo and sriracha to make sriracha mayo½ cup mayo, 2 tbsp sriracha
- Top white rice with the ground beef, add avocado, top with sriracha mayo, green onions, and sesame seeds.green onion, sesame seeds, avocado
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: