These cheesy mayo mussels are easily the best way to eat mussels and they will only take 15 minutes to make. This recipe is heavily inspired by the mussels you get at Japanese restaurants. The main flavor components are mayo and cheese, but I love switching up the garnishes and sauces every time. Keep in mind that while I grilled these, you can easily make this in the oven or air fryer.
What is kewpie mayo
Kewpie mayo is a type of Japanese mayo that is superior to regular mayo in my opinion. It is made using egg yolks and MSG which gives it a custard like texture and extra umami flavor. It is slightly more expensive than regular mayo but well worth it in my opinion.
What type of mussels to use for cheesy mayo mussels?
I always buy New Zealand greenshell mussels which have already been blanched and one the half shell. Size wise, these are the larger mussels and since they have already been blanched, you don’t need to worry about raw seafood. They come in a package weighing 800g and are already frozen.
Cheesy Mayo Mussels
- 800 g mussels (New Zealand frozen on half shell)
- ¾ cup Japanese mayo
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- Lay frozen mussels on the grill over med-high heat. Cover for 5 minutes or until softened. IF you decide to use the oven for this recipe, I would recommend thawing the mussels first then placing them in the broiler at 400F for 5 minutes instead.
- In a bowl mix together mayo, grated garlic, sugar, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Once mussels are softened, add 1-tsp of the mayo mixture on top of the mussels followed by a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Place back onto the grill or oven until the cheese is completely melted. Optionally, give the cheese a torch as well for some smokey flavor.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy.
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: