If you’re asking whether this is packed full of flavours and if you’ll hear a crunch biting into these… the answer is yes – to both. We’re making a sweet and spicy tofu today. I have never met anyone who doesn’t like these. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Spicy Crispy Tofu
- 1 block medium firm tofu
- Kosher salt
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic (diced)
- 1.5 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup water
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
- Take tofu out of package and pat dry.
- Cut into desired sized cubes. (I cut mine about 1-1.5 inches.)
- Pat dry the tofu then season each piece with a pinch of salt. (The salt will help draw out more moisture.)
- Place tofu over a wire rack and set in fridge for an hour or until ready to fry.
- Make the sauce by first frying the garlic in butter until fragrant, then adding the rest of the ingredients and simmering for 3 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Pre-heat oil to 350°F, then pat dry each piece of tofu again before dropping slowly in the hot oil. The pieces of tofu might start to stick to one another in the oil so try to gently break them apart.
- Once golden brown (5-10 minutes), remove tofu from oil and immediately coat in the sauce to retain as much crispiness as possible.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onions.