The concept of katsu curry is a really popular dish that combines rice, Japanese curry, and katsu. Katsu means a type of protein that is battered in panko which is where this dish gets it’s name. It is very common to use chicken or pork katsu, but for this recipe I will be making a shrimp katsu curry.
How to get perfect shrimp katsu
- Make horizontal cuts along the top and bottom of the shrimp. Making these cuts will cause the shrimp to flatten and not curl up when cooked.
- 3 dredge station with flour, egg wash, and panko breadcrumbs. A big key is you want to press in the panko breadcrumbs really well so that they stick.
- Cook over hot oil for only 2-3 minutes. Making sure your oil is up to temp about 365F is a big key to make sure the shrimp turns golden brown without overcooking.
What type of curry powder to use?
You can really use any type of curry powder you have on hand, however, S&B brand I would recommend. Instead of curry powder, you can also substitute in the curry cubes. This is the brand I used and I believe it is Vietnamese.
Carrots and potatoes in shrimp katsu curry
You can really add any type of vegetables to your curry, I prefer carrots and potatoes in mine. After you blend your curry and make it smooth, add in some chopped carrots and potatoes to simmer covered until tender. The starches from the potatoes will also add as a thickening agent.
Shrimp Katsu Curry
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup curry powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 apple
- 1 L chicken stock
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp katsu sauce
- 2 carrots
- 1 russet potato
- 1 lb large shrimp (U6-8)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Thinly slice your onions.2 yellow onions
- Melt butter and oil into your pot then add the sliced onions.4 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp oil
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until deep brown in color and caramelized. Will take about 30 minutes.
- Into the same pot, add tomato paste, curry powder, flour, grate in an apple, and stir while over medium heat for 1 minute.1½ tbsp tomato paste, ¼ cup curry powder, 2 tbsp flour, 1 apple
- Add in your chicken stock, soy sauce, and katsu sauce. Mix to combine and bring it up to a simmer.1 L chicken stock, 1½ tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tbsp katsu sauce
- Using a hand blender, blend everything up until you have a smooth curry.
- Add chopped carrots and potatoes into the pot, then cover and keep over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If the gravy is too thick, add more stock, if it is too thin, just cook longer uncovered. Season with salt and pepper to taste.2 carrots, 1 russet potato
- Take your shrimp and remove the shells.1 lb large shrimp
- Make a few shallow horizontal cuts along the back and belly of the shrimp. This will flatten the shrimp and prevent it from curling when fried.
- Season shrimp lightly with salt.1 tsp salt
- Prepare your three stations which is flour, egg wash, and panko bread crumbs.¼ cup flour, 2 large eggs, 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Coat shrimp in flour, then egg wash, and finally press in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat up your oil until 365F and drop the shrimp in there for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve your shrimp over a bed of jasmine rice, Japanese curry, and top with furikake.furikake
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: