These parmesan crusted smashed potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. The potatoes are soft, well seasoned, and the parmesan gives a great crunch. Along with the dipping sauce which is just ketchup and mayo, this will be the star of your next dinner.
What type of potatoes to use
I use baby potatoes which are only about 2 inches in diameter. They are the perfect size in my opinion and cook much faster than other potatoes. You will also want to keep the skin on which is why baby potatoes are the best option.
Cheese for parmesan crusted smashed potatoes
As you can tell, parmesan is an extremely important part of this recipe. The only correct parmesan to use is the freshly grated type. You will want to use the fresh grated stuff because it melts well and crisps up after a certain point. The parmesan in the plastic containers don’t melt and create a crust like the fresh kind.
Parmesan Crusted Smashed Potatoes
- 15 baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 cups grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Into a boiling pot of water, add salt and boil potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Using a cup with a flat bottom, smash the potatoes until about half inch thickness.
- Grate your parmesan cheese.
- Cover the bottom of an oven safe pan with the grated parmesan then layer your smashed potatoes on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil then season with garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and top with some more grated parmesan.
- Bake in the oven at 420F for 15-20 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
- Top with parsley and enjoy with mixture of ketchup and mayo as a sauce.
If you enjoyed this, check out some more recipes here: