Homemade apple pie is one of those intimidating recipes that you want to try but never get to. I fully understand, it’s a lot of commitment and if it doesn’t turn out well, it will be a waste. That is why I made this recipe to help simplify the process for you.
Keys to the perfect flakey crust
In order to make the perfect flakey crust, you need the correct ratio of flour, butter, and water. I used 400g flour, 300g butter, and 1/2 cup of ice water. You DO NOT want to overwork the dough, otherwise it will form gluten and not be flakey anymore. Here is what you want it to look like after kneading and before placing into the fridge.
What type of apples to use?
Most apples will work great for apple pie, some include granny smith and red delicious. However, my favorite apple has always been honey crisp apples which is what I used. You will need 2.5 lbs of cubes apples which turns out to be 4-5 apples.
The perfect homemade apple pie filling texture
After making apple pie a couple times, I’ve realized that that most important part in the filling is making sure it is not too wet. The consistency of the sauce should be thick and slimy and not runny at all. I’ve made apple pie filling that turned out too wet and it ended up being similar to apple pie soup lol. So after the filling has fully cooled, it should look solid, almost jelly like. This way, when it is baked, it will become the perfect consistency.
Layering our homemade apple pie
STEP 1: roll out first half of pie dough
After our two pieces of dough have chilled in the fridge, you want to take the first half out and roll it into a large sheet that can cover your pie dish. My pie dish is 10.5 inches in diameter so I roll out the dough into a sheet about 12 inches in diameter. This will be enough to completely cover the base of the pie. Dust with flour as needed. Once the dough is place onto the pie dish, press it in with your hand so that it follows the mold of the dish. There should still be some dough hanging off the edges.
STEP 2: add filling
Add all of our cooled filling on top of the first layer of dough, this should reach close to the top of the pie dish height.
STEP 3: cover with second half of crust
Roll out the second half of our dough into similar dimensions as the first one, about 12 inches. But this time you can form it into more of a square. Split them into even 1.5 inch strips, it should make 10 strips total and we will use this to create our lattice design on top.
STEP 4: how to make lattice
To make the lattice, you want to lay down 5 strips on top of the pie, all going the same direction. Then fold every other strip back wards and lay down a strip perpendicular to the ones already set. Fold the strips back down on top of the the perpendicular laying strip. Then repeat with the strips you haven’t folded back yet until the entire pie is covered. Pinch off excess dough hanging off the pie dish.
Homemade Apple Pie
- 10 inch pie dish
- 2.5 lbs honey crisp apples (cubed)
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 tbsp corn starch
- ⅓ cup water
- 400 g flour
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 g cold butter
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ice cream
- Dice up your apples into ½ inch cubes. You can also cut them into slice if you like.2.5 lbs honey crisp apples
- Add butter into a medium heat pan and add the apples along with brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt.3 tbsp butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp salt
- Mix together corn starch and water, then add that into the pan as well. Let this cook for about 10 minutes until the apples have softened and the sauce is very thick. If the mixture is still too watery, add more corn starch to thicken.2.5 tbsp corn starch, ⅓ cup water
- Let it cool completely in the fridge.
- In a bowl add four, sugar, and salt. Mix with a whisk until combined.400 g flour, 1.5 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt
- Grate in your cold butter, mix together with the flour then add ice water.300 g cold butter, ½ cup cold water
- Continue to press into the dough until you form a rough rough. It should NOT look smooth.
- Split the dough in half, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take out one half of the dough dust your work surface and roll it out into a 12 inch diameter. It should be ¼ inch in thickness as well.
- Lay the dough over your pie dish and press it in. There should still be some excess dough hanging off, this is fine.
- Add your chilled pie filling on top of your first layer of dough.
- Roll out your second half of pie dough into a 12 inch square then cut into 1 inch strips. You should be left with 10 strips.
- To make the lattice, you want to lay down 5 strips on top of the pie, all going the same direction. Then fold every other strip back wards and lay down a strip perpendicular to the ones already set. Fold the strips back down on top of the the perpendicular laying strip. Then repeat with the strips you haven't folded back yet until the entire pie is covered.
- Pinch off excess dough hanging off the edge of the pie dish.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.1 tbsp sugar, 1 large egg
- Bake at 370F for 45-50 minutes and enjoy with ice creamice cream
If you enjoyed this, check out some more from the Christmas series: