This is probably one of my favourite chicken rice dishes. I remember my mom making this for us when we were younger and it was the definition of comfort food. And it’s boiled chicken so… must be healthy. Btw, you can’t do this recipe without the sauces that accompany it. I got you covered… check out the recipe to make the chili garlic sauce and ginger scallion oil!
Hainanese Chicken Rice
A simple and delicious chicken rice recipe. A lot of the flavours also come from the sauces, which I also talk about in this post. A recipe has been linked in this post for both the sauces.
- 5 L water (to boil chicken)
- 1 large chicken (or chicken quarters)
- 3 scallion whites (save greens as garnish)
- 1 slice ginger
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (for brushing on at the end)
- 2 cup jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups chicken stock (from chicken)
- 2 tbsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 shallot or small yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
Ginger Scallion Oil Ingredients
- ¼ cup ginger (finely chopped or minced)
- 1 stalk scallion chopped
- ½ tsp salt
Chili Sauce Ingredients (optional)
- 3 long red chilies
- 1 deseeded birds eye chili
- ½ lime (juiced)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 knob peeled ginger (equal amount to garlic)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- Wash the chicken thoroughly (this gives you a clearer broth to serve later on).1 large chicken
- Season chicken with 3 tbsp of salt. (this might seem like a lot but remember you're boiling it) You can alternatively add the salt straight into the water.3 tbsp kosher salt
- Bring water up to a boil then throw in scallions, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, and pinch of salt. Make sure there is just enough water to cover the chicken.5 L water, 3 scallion whites, 1 slice ginger, 4 cloves crushed garlic, ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- Drop the chicken into the water for 5 seconds and lift. Repeat this 3 times to tighten skin.
- Bring heat down to a simmer and cook for 45 mintues covered.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your rice ingredients (wash rice, chop shallots, garlic and ginger)2 tbsp ginger, 1 shallot or small yellow onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 cup jasmine rice
- Using 1 tbsp of oil, fry shallots, ginger, and garlic for 1-2 minutes over high heat.
- Add rice, and tumeric powder then mix until combined and set aside in rice cooker.½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 cup jasmine rice
- Once the chicken is cooked through, take it out and immediately place in an ice bath for 10 minutes (this gives it that springy elastic chicken texture).
- Pour 2¼ cups of the chicken broth (broth made from cooking chicken) into the rice cooker and cook accordingly. Don't worry about oil from the chicken in the stock, that adds extra flavor2¼ cups chicken stock
- While I wait for the rice to cook I usually make the ginger scallion oil and chili sauce. Ginger scallion oil is a must for this dish, chili sauce is optional but recommended.
- To make the chili sauce, combine all chili sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.3 long red chilies, 1 deseeded birds eye chili, ½ lime, 6 cloves garlic, 1 knob peeled ginger, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp chicken stock
- To make the ginger scallion oil, finely chop ginger and scallions, if you're lazy just grate the ginger(the finer the better) then add salt and pour over ½ cup hot oil.¼ cup ginger, 1 stalk scallion, ½ tsp salt
- De-bone chicken (recommended)
- Plate the rice and brush chicken with sesame oil. Serve with sauces and top with green onions!1 tbsp sesame oil
In case you missed it up top, check out the recipe to make the chili garlic sauce and ginger scallion oil!