Shrimp fried rice is one of the best variations of fried rice you could have. Of course you can modify this recipe with any type of protein you enjoy most. The texture of shrimp compliments the umami flavors of fried rice so well. The only other protein I would put over shrimp is Chinese sausage.
Important ingredients for shrimp fried rice
Chili paste in shrimp fried rice
The type of chili paste I use is sambal. I add this while initially sautéing the garlic and scallions together. This will bring out the fragrance from the chilies and make your house smell amazing. On top of this, the chilies add some red color and heat to the dish. I only used 1 tbsp but add according to your spice tolerance. Here is a picture of the chili paste I use.
Dark soy sauce
Dark soy sauce is one of my must have pantry items especially if you love Asian cooking. It is not as salty as regular soy sauce but is much darker. It also has a thicker, molasses texture to it in comparison. It is mainly added to savory dishes to add color and umami. You can omit this if you don’t care for the color aspect of the fried rice. The only brand of dark soy sauce I use is pearl river bridge as seen here.
Aromatics are some of my favorite parts of fried rice because it was what brings out the fragrance we all love. A few that are staples include minced garlic, shallots, scallions, chilies. I did not have any shallots on hand which is why I opted for scallion whites. I saved the scallion greens for garnish.
Why use old rice for shrimp fried rice?
It is extremely important to use old refrigerated rice in order to achieve the correct texture. If you use freshly made rice, then the individual grains will become soft and mushy when cooked in the pan. Ideally, you want to make the rice 1 night before hand and leave it in the fridge overnight.
Why use MSG?
MSG like salt is a seasoning used to enhance flavors. It has a very bad reputation with the general public as it is viewed to cause headaches and other issues. However, it is completely safe and it found is many snacks we all consume everyday like chips and instant ramen. The purpose of MSG in fried rice is to add umami to the dish. If you do not feel comfortable with this ingredient then just leave it out.
Garnish with chili crisp
If you are wondering what that red thing I added on top of my fried rice is, that is chili crisp. Chili crisp is similar to chili oil except in my opinion it has more flavor and less spice. Some key additions are crispy garlic and shallots which add texture and flavor. I actually have a recipe for a homemade chili crisp in 20 minutes which you can find by clicking here.
It is basically a combination of chili flakes, salt, MSG, sugar, soy sauce, crispy garlic and shallots, that are all infused together with hot aromatic oil.
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 300 g shrimp
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 cups cold overnight rice
- 3 stalks scallions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sambal chili paste
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp MSG
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cook 2 cups of jasmine rice and allow it to cool overnight. Or if you already have leftover rice you can make it now.2 cups cold overnight rice
- Cut shrimp into smaller ½-1 inch pieces.300 g shrimp
- Season shrimp with remaining shrimp ingredients and give it a mix.½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar, ½ tsp white pepper, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp corn starch
- Prepare your ingredients by finely chopping your garlic and scallions.3 stalks scallions, 6 cloves garlic
- In a high heat wok add 1 tbsp of oil and cook your shrimp for 1 minute and remove. They should not take long otherwise they will overcook.
- In the same wok, add 1 tbsp of oil then scramble 3 eggs and remove once barely cooked.3 large eggs
- Add 1 tbsp more of oil and cook your shallots, garlic, and chili paste for 20 seconds.3 stalks scallions, 6 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp sambal chili paste
- Add your rice, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, and MSG. Mix for 20 seconds.1 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, ½ tsp MSG
- Add shrimp and eggs, mix for 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat, add sesame oil and chopped scallion greens at the end.1 tsp sesame oil, 3 stalks scallions
- Top with chili crisp and more green onions.